Monday 1 December 2008

Philip Lee Harvey | Documentary Silver Award Winner


Silver winner of My Back Yard 4 - documentary photography.

George Rodger

The images awarded silver place in the series category were taken by Philip Lee Harvey during a project retracing the footsteps of British photojournalist George Rodger 60 years ago. Land Rover contacted Philip with a commission to commemorate the brand's own 60th anniversary. When asked to suggest ideas which reflected 1948, the Magnum co-founder Rodger's journey into Africa immediately sprung to mind. "I suppose there's an aspect of school-boy adventure to it all," says Philip, "and Rodger is a photographer I've known about since I was a boy. He lived in the area where I grew up, and I was always aware of that, even though he was a very quiet man."

Philip retraced Rodger's journey through the Maasai Mara, the mountains of Uganda and the Sudan, revisiting the three main tribes which he saw on his 1948 journey.

Additional text

P.L.Harvey | LPA Featured Gallery Haiti

P.L.Harvey | Gallery 1839 - Fine art print sales

No comments: